Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Letter Sculpture

In the sculpture letter work, I chose the letter "lively" to draw. My goal is to use all kinds of techniques to make the drawing look as real as possible. I accomplished it by using shadow and light. When I drew them I used many different types of pencil, such as H, 2B, and 6B. Different pencil has different color, and also leaves a different texture on the painting, which makes the painting realistic. My painting is about backlighting and the textures of surface. Backlighting lets me be able to show values very well and the textures of surface makes my painting special, because every stroke is pretty clear in my work. You can recognize the value was drawn by many strokes instead of being wiped by tissue. The most difficult challenge for me was to compose letters. At first I tried to use hard paper but when I curved it it left crease on it which looked not good. Therefore, I changed to sketching paper and it works well. I used tape to fix them and them used glue gun to make sure all edges were connected. I feel my drawing really works to show the shadow and value, since the word seems to be the real letter sculpture. From this work I learned about shadows. I learned from Nancy about the values, because she made them really clear and contrast to each other, which helped the drawing look real. She's my mentor. In my class Josh's painting is really impressive to me. He used tissue to wipe the drawing and make it blurred. It still looked good. I learned from him that there are many ways to draw and you can find something to help you. If I had a do-over I would add some highlights on it. I feel best about "i", "v" and "y" in my drawing.


1 comment:

  1. A Very Good rendering. Excellent values. Great technique. I enjoy looking at it.

    ReplyDelete