Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Pumpkins

In the this work I drew one big pumpkin and one small pumpkin. My goal is to show the light and shadow. I accomplished it by using charcoal, eraser and tissue. My painting is about the composition of pumpkins and backlighting. Composition makes my drawing look harmonious, and backlighting lets me be able to show values very well. The most difficult challenge for me was to draw the shadow. My drawing has a lot of different shadows, such as the shadow of the branch, and the shadows of two pumpkins. These shadows overlap each other, therefore, some parts look darker while other parts are really light. Firstly I made all the drawing dark and then I used tissue to wipe the part which supposed to be light, and finally used white chalk and eraser for highlights. I feel my drawing really works to show the shadow. From this work I learned about composition. A good composition can really make the work different. The biggest surprise to me is that I can do a drawing by charcoals. In my class Angela's painting is really impressive. She made really good highlights. I learned from her how to blend up the highlight with its surrounding and make it not too stand out. If I had a do-over I would choose to draw it directly according to the objects instead of the picture. I feel best about the shadows in my drawing.

3 comments:

  1. The antlers look very real and very menacing the little pumpkin looks like he's trying to get away a smaller picture frame will give you a better composition. good lights and darks

    ReplyDelete
  2. The antlers look very real and very menacing the little pumpkin looks like he's trying to get away a smaller picture frame will give you a better composition. good lights and darks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very intriguing lights and darks. You also did a great job on making the pumpkins and antlers look realistic. I love it!

    ReplyDelete