Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Carry-out carton and chopsticks

For this work, my goal is to draw people's attention to the carry-out box through chopsticks. I accomplished it by giving a specific location to chopsticks. I made the chopsticks lean on the box vertically, which can lead your eyes from the bottom of the picture to the center(carton) since the chopsticks are thin and long. My painting is about the light and the shadow and the composition. The most difficult challenge for me was to draw the shadow on the box. I met the challenge by drawing it step by step. I drew each part of the box slowly and kept making modifications to make it look better. I feel my drawing really works to show the shadow and light, since the box is really three-dimensional which looks like a real one not just a picture. From this work I learned about shadows. I learned from Nancy about the values, because she made them really clear and contrast to each other. The shadow of box is really dark, the floor is light, and the chopstick is kind of in the middle. In my class Jessica's painting is really impressive to me. Her chopsticks in the drawing attract people's attention successfully. I think there are mainly two reasons: first is that the chopsticks are so long that have reached the bottom of the picture, and second is that her chopsticks contrast to the background greatly. I learned from her about the composition and the value. If I had a do-over I would use charcoal to draw it again. I feel best about the shadow in my drawing.


No comments:

Post a Comment